5/2/10

Meet my grandmother!

Let my tell you about my grandmother Lilli. This summer she’s turning 100 ( ! ! ! ), but she still wears fashion clothes, hats and leather gloves. These days she only has two big worries...


Her Full name is Lille Eline Petrine Larsen Berntsen (What an amazing name ! ), and she was born July 21st 1910. Yes - you’ve done your math correctly. My Gran is turning 100 this summer!

Grandma Lilli is my mother’s mother, and the mom of three other children. Her husband (my grandfather) passed away before I was born, so unfortunately I never got to meet him, and she has been a widow ever since. For all the years they where together my grandmother was a house wife, while he was out on the sea (he was a captain). Well - she wasn’t always a housewife. She liked to earn her own money and worked as a hat maker for several years. The family stories say that she grew up in a wealthy family, but that the family fortune was lost during the 20’s (when so many others lost their fortunes too). But despite never being rich since her early childhood, my Grandma has always carried herself with grace. I remember her gold rings, her beautiful hats, her tailored furs, her silk gloves, her handbags and fashion dresses.

And still, only a few moths away from 100, she still cares about fashion! Years ago she picked out her funeral dress as she had to make sure that she would never be buried in something un-classy. She has to have it her way - always!

Right now the 99,8 year old lady has two main worries:

  1. (1)the (ex) love life of Swedish princess Madeleine and Jonas. She has always had a thing for the royals, and the infidelity of Jonas causing them to break off their engagement is quite emotional for her.

  2. (2)that her hair dresser will be on holiday on her 100th birthday. Who can then do her birthday perm? If you can help me find a great and nice hairdresser in Tromsø who is available on July 21st let me know! 

I just booked flight tickets for my whole family and our au-pair to go to Tromsø for her birthday party this summer. We simply can’t miss the old lady’s 100th day! It will be a great party!
 I hope I have her genes!

Grandma opening her present from us on her 
95th birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment