3/31/10

HOTEL REVIEW: SOUTH BEACH RIVIERA

I had such great expectations of this art deco style hotel. I love interior design. I loved the photos online. And I couldn’t wait to go to Miami, wind down for a few days, relax and try to get rid of my workaholic tendencies, but at this hotel I got more and more upset every day (stayed for 5 nights).

The rooms (or suites) were really cool. High points for that! But they were so dark that it was almost impossible to stay in the room. I might have been very unlucky getting a room facing the next door building, but then again quite a few of the rooms do. 

Had it only been the darkness of the rooms, I would not have complained at all, but this hotel has a severe problem defining itself. Is it a party hotel for young teenagers, or is it a high class hotel (as it presents itself to be) for business people and families? Most hotels would have been able to serve both groups, but due to paper thin walls this hotel cannot. I did not manage to get an hour of sleep before around three in the morning any of my nights at the hotel due to parties or loud conversations in the other rooms in my hallway. My final night I actually rang the front desk to ask them to help (I never do that), and was met by a man who a bit rudely was stating that “we have not had any complaints from others, but if you wish I can look into it” made me feel like I was the problem. To the teenage groups on my floor I was definitely the problem, but a hotel needs to also be able to serve people like me as guests.

The pool area in the backyard of the hotel was small but nice. As it was in the back yard though there was only sun there for about 4-5 hours a day. But a very cozy place that I would recommend if you do not care too much about getting a tan. The fact that the hotel does not have either a restaurant or a liquor license made me feel more and more upset by the place. That you cannot get anything to eat or drink at the hotel is something that is not pointed out on their website (there could be information on this if you search for it, but it is definitely not something you immediately see). I would never have booked a hotel that could not at least serve me a sandwich and a glass of wine if I had known. Arriving around midnight after a five hour flight and not being able to get anything to eat really upset me. It is apparently possible to order take-in from their sister hotel down the block, but not something that the front desk presents as an easy or obvious choice. Instead they handed me a pizza menu and asked me to phone for delivery. And they claim to be a four star hotel? I usually never eat anything from the mini bar (always unhealthy options, don’t you think?), but this time I did. I was too hungry not to!

It must be added that the hotel does serve a complimentary breakfast in the pool area. The breakfast is a nice touch, and the food is ok. The ‘breakfast man’ is also very sweet and helpful. The problems arise when it rains, and the hotel does not offer any other place to enjoy your breakfast. I eat my food as quickly as I could under an umbrella....

And - just a final question - if they manage to serve their guests breakfast, why do they find it so hard to at least offer their guests the opportunity of ordering a bagel with cream cheese in the afternoon? 

To summarize: Cool rooms, paper thin walls and the poorest service I have ever experienced. I will never stay here again, and I am sorry to say this as the hotel could have been a great treat!

I paid:        $ 400 per night (high season)
Rating:      2 / 6
A small but very cozy pool area. 
Little sun though as it is surrounded by buildings....

Good beds should make a good night sleep, 
but that doesn’t help when the walls are paper thin 
and the other guests are teenagers wanting to party

Not my living room, but they are all well decorated and cool!

All suites have work desks. Great for business people like myself


No comments:

Post a Comment