8/26/10

Cheering for Body Shop


I love Body Shop! Not only because of the products (I cheer for any company that produces goods in a sustainable manner), but because the Body Shop continuously shows: 

Body Shop is committed.
Body Shop takes a stand.
Body Shop has an opinion.

How many companies today do? How many companies have the courage to allow their sales arenas contain political messages? How many have the courage to potentially provoke some of their customers?


Back in 1995. . .
In 1995 I got my first real encounter with Body Shop. I was 17, had just moved to Wales to attend United World College and the idealistic Silje was involved in new idealistic projects. France had at this time resumed testing of nuclear bombs in the Pacific, and this upset me greatly. I had to do something! The answer was a demonstration in the streets of London.

We ordered buses and were able to transport close to all of the nearly 400 students from the school - representing nearly 100 nations - to London. All were dressed in their national costumes and carried flags from around the world. The police sealed off one of the city center's main streets this Saturday morning, and as we approached the French embassy more and more people joined in. It was a peaceful, beautiful and great demonstration (even though my role was noticed by the secret service. I was under surveillance for a few years after this episode, but more on that in another blog).
So what is the link between this demonstration and Body Shop? It was Body Shop that made it possible! Body Shop sponsored the rally which made it possible for several hundred international students and others to have their voices heard. Body Shop got involved and took a stand. How many companies would do that? Body Shop also had locations in France; still they took a stand against that country.


Yesterday. . .
I visited Body Shop. On the way to the meeting with the Norwegian Data Protection Agency, I discovered a pimple on the nose (Help! I thought I was grown up now I, but perhaps a result of maximum 5 hours of sleep per night for a long time. Downside of entrepreneurial life ...).

The meeting with the shop at Oslo S was almost like coming home! It’s an incredible feeling when their involvement meets you as soon as you walk in the door. A large stand encouraging people to sign a petition against trafficking of children and young people was the first thing that caught my eye, and half the counter and the entire wall behind it- where used to profile this campaign. This is a sharp contrast to the typical collection bucket for some organization hidden behind marketing material you typically find in other stores. 

Can’t more companies get involved such as Body Shop do? I can promise you that Bipper will!

Inspiration from Body Shop:





No comments:

Post a Comment