8/6/10

Look forward to meeting Thon

I was not surprised that the launch of Bipper would be met with both praise and criticism. Praise is definitively nicer that negative comments, but debating the issue is important and useful. 

Bipper has been in dialogue with The Data Protection Agency several times. Both to inform about the solution and in conjunction with reporting it in to the agency. For those who wonder: Yes - all the rules as it relates to privacy are followed.
Of course! 

I expected that the Data Protection Agency would be critical. It is their role, and they perform it well. I think it is nice that Thon will call me in to the meeting. I look forward to it. The dialogue with the agency has been productive before, and I believe that it will continue to be. That being said, l don’t think they will ever be excited about Bipper. That's okay! We adhere to rules and regulations and will provide a service I know that many parents have requested. And - we will always deliver a service that only have minor elements of control and monitoring, but rather focus on safety and trust within the boundaries that the parents set. From my standpoint, to set limits - in relation to children's digital lives –is the parent's responsibility. Parents should be involved and engaged.  Our children deserve it! 


On the other hand, I’m concerned about the type of monitoring services we see popping up globally. Services where large groups of people can locate each other when they want, and/or where people may obtain a copy of all messages going to and from a mobile phone. This is from my perspective completely unacceptable! How can parents want to intrude and peek
into their children's lives this way? Unfortunately, such solutions start gaining ground – including in the United States. Bipper have actually been asked if we can adapt our solution to also include such monitoring elements. 


My answer has been NO. Bipper will NEVER be such a solution! Not in Norway-not globally.




No comments:

Post a Comment