4/17/10

Rome on Monday?

I love Saturdays! The only day of the week when I almost for certain will be at home with my family. Early Monday morning I’m supposed to fly down to Rome for Simposium 2010 to compete for the 1st prize in SIMagine. With the volcanic ash affecting the airspace in Northern Europe it doesn’t look good...


My husband is a geologist, and for years he has been telling me about the coming volcanic eruption on Iceland. That a massive eruption is already over-time and about all the previous eruption from both Katla and Hekla. Over-due in a geology timeframe, though, can be 100 years...

But perhaps it really is now? I hadn’t heard about Eyjafjallajökull before, but now this (I’ve been told) very small volcano is causing chaos all over Europe. And more worrying, there is a huge possibility that Katla will have an eruption. A big one! It might not happen now, but is supposedly due within two years. Here’s on of the articles I read  in norwegian and english(google translate). 

When Eyjafjallajökull is causing this much trouble now, imagine the trouble Katla will cause! Let’s hope the volcano(s) will calm down very soon. Iceland has had some rough years lately. First the financial crises and now this. And what is this doing to the planet? I must admit that I haven’t had the time to study the articles about the environmental impact of the eruptions, but it surely does make you worry when the empty white bucket a fellow Bergenser (i.e. a person from Bergen) placed an empty white bucket outside and an hour later it was filled with dirty water and small sharp stones...

Right now though I’m simply enjoying spending some time with my kids. And if the volcanos so wish, my time spent in Bergen will be a bit longer than planned for...

Will I make it to Rome on Monday? And if not, will SIMagine come up with another way of allowing us to present in front of the jury? A video conference on Skype perhaps? I was just really hoping to go to Rome and bring home another prestigious award...

Alvin and I enjoying PhotoBooth on my orange Mac. 
Great fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment