4/9/10

Want to become an entrepreneur?

One thing I’m passionate about is inspiring more young people - especially women - to start their own businesses. Today I held a lecture at The Norwegian School of Entrepreneurship (Gründerskolen)!

I did not attend Gründerskolen myself, although I really wanted to when I was a student. With two young children at home it wasn’t possible though as a three month trainee period abroad is part of the program. Seeing how much I travel today (now with three kids at home...), I realize that I might have been wrong.

However, being able to speak about entrepreneurship to young students using my own journey as an example, is really a lot of fun. Norway needs more entrepreneurs! The world needs more entrepreneurs! Especially there is a need for more female entrepreneurs as still only around 30 % of those starting their own businesses are women. I really do hope that my story can inspire some people to enroll on the same journey I’m on. I felt a feed myself, had a vision about a solution but no knowledge within the field of industry (technology), but still went for it. 

It really is possible to start from scratch, but it demands your complete focus. It you think that starting up your own business will be fun, you’re absolutely right! If you think it will be fun all the time, you couldn’t be more wrong. Being an entrepreneur is like a constant roller-coaster ride with ups and downs constantly. I have never cried as much previously as I have for the past three years, but I’ve never been more excited either. It’s a thrill! And to survive the constant ups and downs a start-up phase involves, you have to be a stayer. Bite your teeth together and fight for survival. It won’t be easy, but it will be the most exciting journey you’ve ever been on.

I was very open with the students about both the ups and the downs and all my worries and dilemmas. Including that running a start-up means that the business will run your life. When I started Bipper, I really wasn’t prepared for the amount of hours and traveling needed to create a success. And we’re not even there yet that we can say “we did it!”.  Soon we will be though (I hope!), but very few people will be able to understand how rough the journey has been. Nor the thrill of it! You have to try it yourself :-)



  1. 1.DO NOT RUN YOUR BUSINESS AS A HOBBY PROJECT No investor will invest capital in a person that is not 100 % in him/herself. Would you?


  1. 2.THE TEAM IS EVERYTHINGIn a start-up phase the team is 80 % and the idea is 20 %. At the most. Great people can create successes out of mediocre ideas, while bad people can destroy the best projects. Focus on building a strong team!


  1. 3.KEEPING EVERYTHING A SECRET WILL NOT OPEN ANY DOORS (people will want to help you!)
    Should you tell everyone the details of what you’re doing? Of course not! But business and partnerships arise from mutual interests. Everyone will have a lot of ideas, 10 % of us all might write the ideas down and start working on them, while only 1 % will try to commercialize their ideas. There is little reason to be afraid! And be surprised by how many people that will want to help you!





No comments:

Post a Comment