1/21/10

Lunch with the US ambassador

While I was in the US suddenly an invitation to lunch with the US Ambassador in Norway, Mr. Barry White, arrived in my inbox. What an honor! And such good timing, making my visit to the US feel even more worth while!

The lunch was due to start at 12, and I showed up about 10 minutes early not knowing what to expect. First it was just me and one other woman, and one by one more people arrived. Many whom I had seen on tv and knew by reputation and name. Finally one familiar face showed up, Mr. Johan H. Andresen - one of Norway’s richest men whom I had charmed my way into a personal meeting with a year prior (business tip of the day: If you manage to get a good and personal dialogue with the secretaries/assistants, you are on your way...). The only problem though was that he didn’t remember me (how could he not?) and I had a lot of fun with teasing him. When it was my time to present myself it looked like he suddenly remembered: The mother of three, the idealist, the woman who knew nothing about technology but wanted to start a multinational telecommunication company. He did not want to invest....

The lunch was great, and we had some really interesting discussions on social entrepreneurship. I made a comment about the lacking support system for social entrepreneurship initiatives in Norway - and people applauded. Maybe I can convince Mr. Andresen himself to invest in The Hub - the best social entrepreneurship initiative I know? I’ll do my best!

And, by the way, an e-mail from Mr. Andresen himself just arrived in my inbox stating: “I still remember you. How much money do you need?”. I like this man :-)
Waiting outside the huge fences of 
Ambassador Barry Whites house.

Mr. White and Mr. Johan H. Andresen both seem quite happy

There were around 20 people invited to lunch
 this afternoon. The purpose of the lunch was to
 discuss social entrepreneurship, 
and I must admit that I had quite a bit to say....


No comments:

Post a Comment