1/11/10

No pants day in San Francisco


Even though I was exhausted from almost a week in Vegas, it was exciting to arrive in San Francisco. I have never been here before and its such an interesting and fascinating city. However, after checking in at the quaint and elegant Hotel Villa Florence by Union Square Park and finding my room the bed was too inviting and I quickly fell asleep. When I woke up a few hours later I notice that Nils and Olav have left me numerous text and voicemails urging me to come down to the bar next door.  

They had also planned for a relaxing afternoon and decided to have lunch and a couple of beers at the bar next door and watch a football game. However, their plans changed as soon as they entered the The Gold Dust Lounge- (with a name like that you should expect the unexpected :) . Almost everybody there was sitting in their underwear, people in all shapes and sizes, men women, young and old. Turns out that on this particular Sunday, thousands of people had joined in on a Facebook initiative called "No pants Day"!! and they had all gathered downtown earlier in the day and soon started hitting the local bars. 

When I finally join Olav and Nils they are already sitting in their underwear, a couple of beers had turned into several more and they are doing shots with a group of new friends. That group includes everything from corporate lawyers and investment bankers to artists and designers.  There is a live band playing, people are dancing and singing and everybody is in a great mood. I decided to keep my pants on, but still had a great time :)  The "no pants day" hit the local news stations and gets substantial coverage to the amusement of all us in the bar, more cheers!! Even unexpected, or maybe just for that reason, this was a great introduction to San Francisco. People were friendly, real,  funny, smart and didn't take themselves too seriously. It was refreshing and fun!


Taking the tube...

Why wear pants at the pub at a no pants day?

Olav and Nils the way I found them when I woke up from my 
afternoon sleep; at the next door pub without pants on. 
When you’re in San Francisco, do as the San Franciscos!

As with all other important days and causes,
 also the No Pants Day has its own flag!

The Bipper Team: Nils, me and Olav. 
I was too chicken to do the no pants day real style. 
Taking photos kinda made up for it.... There are MANY more to see!




No comments:

Post a Comment